Inclusive Governance Specialist H/F France, Belgique, US, UK
Location: Lyon, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, FR
Starting date: 02/11/2023
Duration of the mission:
Closing date for applications: 31/10/2023
Posting reference: -CRE-06-23-7989
Handicap International / Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial international solidarity association, which intervenes in situations of poverty, exclusion, conflict and disasters.
Working alongside disabled and vulnerable people to meet their essential needs and improve their living conditions. We are committed to promoting respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since its creation in 1982, HI has set up development programs in over development programs in more than 59 countries, and intervenes in numerous emergency situations. Today, we have a budget of around 230 million euros, with 4755 employees worldwide.
At Handicap International, we firmly believe in the importance of inclusion and diversity within our organization. This is why that's why we're committed to a disability policy designed to integrating people with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any special accommodation, including to take part in the 1st interviews.
Find out more about the association: www.hi.org.
Within Humanity & Inclusion (HI), the department in charge of Inclusive Governance and Inclusive Humanitarian Action is looking for a Global Specialist in disability inclusion in development contexts.
Dynamic, dedicated, structured, bilingual (English & if possible French), the expert will be part of an established multicultural team providing expertise and technical support for programs in the field, contributing to tool development, international representation of HI, and support developing major project opportunities.
This contract is offered to ensure the succession of an employee leaving her position.
The Specialist will join the Inclusive Governance and Humanitarian Action team within the Protection & Risk Reduction Division.
The unit consists of 14 employees under the supervision of a manager. Seven team members work on dedicated projects. One other teammate is dedicated to the inclusive governance portfolio and three are specifically involved in supporting inclusive humanitarian actions. The last two members are in charge of training and inclusion dynamics.
All members of this team support the implementation of HI’s institutional " Disability Age Gender " policy in the field.
Team members are scattered across several continents. Preference will be given to candidates in Brussels, Lyon, Paris, London, Washington, DC but other locations might be considered.
With the support of the department manager, in close collaboration with the other Inclusive Governance specialist and in coordination with all other technical specialists, the Inclusive Governance specialist will be responsible for :
Responsibility 1 : Technical Support
Support the definition and effective implementation of HI’s inclusive governance technical frameworks, standards and approaches (50%)
- Contribute to the development and deployment of specific frameworks and tools for IG’s four pillars: a) Citizenship, legal empowerment & political participation, b) Inclusive policies, c) Inclusive local development and d) Support to civil society & advocacy.
-Provide guidance on meaningful participation of persons with disabilities and their representative organizations throughout all HI interventions
- Bring inclusive local development expertise to advise other HI sectors from the field to international advocacy, with a particular focus on supporting HI projects.
- Contribute to a better understanding and application of knowledge for a multidisciplinary approach to the development and humanitarian Nexus.
- Support country teams in the identification, development and implementation of major projects.
- Inspire and steer the development of innovative projects, studies and research, as well as the collection of best practices and lessons learned in the sector.
- Co-lead a network of professionals in his/her sector
- Contribute to the implementation and monitoring of technical strategies.
Responsibility 2 : Project Support
Provide technical support to projects linked to inclusive governance, to partners and country teams by developing their capacity and strengthening the quality and impact of HI interventions in the sector. (25%)
- Provide regular technical support to the design, implementation and evaluation of projects related to the inclusion of disability and/or excluded groups.
- Provide technical support to HI staff and partners in the various areas covered by the sector, with a focus on capacity building and empowerment of Civil Society Organizations & persons with disabilities and their representative organizations.
- Support the technical quality of HI projects from an inclusive governance lens
- Provide technical advice during the development of operational strategies (programs)
- Participate in the identification, recruitment and third-party assessment of technical personnel in the sector.
- Promote the development of technical assistance projects to external actors.
Responsibility 3 : External Influence
Monitor innovations and advances in the sector, professional networks and participate in HI's external outreach (25%)
- Analyze and influence existing professional networks and identify those to be invested in.
- Encourage and support HI programs in the support and meaningful participation of networks of Civil Society Organizations and Organizations of Persons with Disabilities (national, regional and international).
- Participate in major events in the sector and present the association's technical know-how when required.
- Contribute to HI’s international advocacy campaigns
You have a post-graduate degree in political science, international studies, sociology, gender and/or disability, human rights or other international development topics.
You have at least five years' experience in this field of expertise, with significant work experience abroad.
You have significant experience in at least two of the following areas: inclusion of marginalized groups, inclusive governance and policy development, promotion and monitoring of human rights, community mobilization and local development, advocacy and support for civil society.
You are aware of and have experience working with international human rights treaties and frameworks
You have a good command of development project management.
You are fluent in English ; French & or Spanish will be an additional asset.
Specific to the mission localization
Occasional travel to countries of operation
Position based in a Humanity & Inclusion office (France, Belgium, US, UK and Canada)
Other advantages depending on location.
PROTECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA :
The information requested as part of your application is registered in a database managed by Handicap International - Humanity & Inclusion (HI), which has a Data Protection Officer (DPO - [email protected]).
They are processed for the purpose of:
The provided information will be kept for a period of 24 months after your last contact or until you request its removal.
This information can be transferred within the HI network and particularly outside the European Union.
In case of a data transfer to a country outside the European Union, rules ensuring the protection and security of these data have been put in place.
In accordance with the law " computing and liberties " and the European regulation, by contacting our DPO ([email protected]), you have the right to access, rectify, limit, portability, erase and oppose the use of your personal data. In case of difficulty, you can file a complaint with the CNIL (Commission Nationale de l'Informatique et des Libertés in France).